- 2 cornish hens
- 3 qts/3 l water
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsley root
- 1choped Onion
- 3 handfool home made noodles or 3 tablespoon rice
- 1cup borsh or 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- chopped lovage (levisticum bot.)
- chopped parsley
- Set to boil the hens with the cold water. Let the pot uncovered until the liquid starts foaming. Remove this foam periodically with the slotted spoon until foaming stops.
- Add the bay leaf, the Onion and a little salt.
- Cover the pot almost but not completely and let boil, at low temperature.
- When the hen is cooked remove it from the pot on the plate.
- Add to the soup the vegetables and when they are almost done add the home made noodles or rice and after 5 minutes the borsh (the cleared liquid of fermented grain bran) or lemon juice to taste.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes and add chopped parsley and lovage.
- Turn the heat off and cover for a few minutes to rest.
- Serve in a bowl with peaces of hen.