- Heat oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, bell pepper, chile, ginger, tomato paste, malt vinegar, worcestershire sauce, stock, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, removing the lid for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cool slightly and then puree by forcing through a sieve.
- Slice stalks from the corn cobs.
- Remove the leaves and the silk threads.
- Place in a pan of boiling, salted water and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until tender (Mark's note: this seems too long for cooking corn, but the British do like overcooking vegetables!) drain.
- Meanwhile, return the sauce to the pan, bring back to a boil, add sherry and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Pour over cobs and serve.