Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the McGowan Estate in Sherman, Texas in 1991.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 ears corn
- ½ teaspoon + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1⅓ cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ poblano pepper seeded and minced
- 2 minced pickled jalapenos
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- Preheat grill.
- Shuck the corn then brush lightly with the ½ teaspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill corn over high heat for 5 minutes per side.
- Let the corn cool then cut the kernels off the ears.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil and place it in the oven to preheat.
- Combine egg whites, ¾ cup buttermilk and remaining oil in a large bowl and whisk until well mixed.
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt into the liquid ingredients.
- Add cornmeal and gently stir with a wooden spoon until ingredients are just mixed.
- Stir in grilled corn, chilies, cilantro and scallions.
- If the batter is too dry add remaining buttermilk.
- Spoon the batter into the hot skillet and bake 40 minutes.
- Loosen edges with a slender knife and invert skillet onto a round platter to unmold the corn bread.
- Cut into wedges and serve with honey.