This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Webb Estate in Grand Prairie, Texas in 1987.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted bacon drippings
- 1 egg beaten
- 1-1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 16 ounce package frankfurters
- Vegetable oil
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cornmeal and sugar then stir in bacon drippings.
- Combine egg, buttermilk and soda and mix well and stir into flour mixture mixing well.
- Cut each frank into 10 pieces.
- Dip franks into batter coating completely.
- Fry in 4 inches of hot oil at 375 until golden turning once.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve immediately with desired condiments.