Makes about 1 cup.
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed (about 1 cup loosely packed leaves)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeño, or other hot pepper, seeded
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice or ⅓ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp freshly grated black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cumin, (optional)
- 2 tbsp water, up to 4, or as needed
- Combine the cilantro, garlic, chile, and walnuts in a blender or food processor.
- Add ⅓ cup lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and cumin(if using) and process to a smooth paste.
- Add enough water to obtain a pourable paste.
- Taste for seasoning, adding salt and lemon juice as necessary; the sauce should be highly seasoned.
- Serve immediately, or at least within 4 hours of making;serve at room temperature.