Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 8 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 x 3- to 3½-pound frying chicken, cut up and skinned, if desired
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups dry red wine
- 3 cups cooked rice
- parsley, if desired
- Cook bacon in large skillet or Dutch oven until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet.
- Brown chicken in hot Bacon drippings, turning to brown all sides; drain.
- Place chicken in 2½- to 3-quart casserole; sprinkle with bacon.
- Combine onion, mushrooms, 2 tablespoons parsley, thyme and garlic in same skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour. Gradually stir in wine. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Pour over chicken and bacon in casserole.
- Cover; bake at 400 °F for 40 to 50 minutes or until chicken is fork tender and juices run clear.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve over rice.