Asparagus is low-calorie and spiked with vitamins A, B & C.
- 4 servings.
- 1½ lbs
- Break off tough ends as far down as stalks snap easily. For spears, tie with string. Or, cut each stalk into 1 inch pieces.
Cooking spears Edit
- In deep, narrow pan or asparagus pot, heat 1" salted water to boiling.
- Place asparagus upright in pot. Heat to boiling, reduce heat.
- Boil uncovered for 5 minutes. Cover and boil 2-3 minutes longer. Drain.
Cooking pieces Edit
- Cook lower stalk pieces uncovered in 1" boiling water for 6 minutes.
- Add tips, cover, and cook until tender, about 1-2 minutes. Drain.
- Place steamer or basket in ½" water (water should not touch basket).
- Place asparagus in basket. Cover tightly and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and steam until tender, about 6 minutes.