- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 1½ cups of warm water for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain in a sieve lined with cheesecloth, reserving the liquid for use elsewhere.
- Squeeze the porcini and wash in fresh water.
- Cut into very fine pieces.
- Clean fresh mushrooms with a damp cloth and dice them.
- Place in a medium- sized bowl.
- Add the porcini, tomatoes, rosemary, sage, garlic and pepper.
- Mix together well.
- Toss with the lemon juice and oil.
- Cover and leave for 24 hours.
- Just before serving, add the salt.
- If it seems to be too moist, then drain off the extra moisture.
- Use as an appetizer salad or as a topping fro grilled bread.
- Or omit, the lemon and use as a pasta sauce.