- 1½ pounds shelled conch, cleaned, skinned
- 2 limes, halved
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled, halved, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1½ teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme, or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ scotch bonnet chile, minced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- hot cooked rice
- Pound the conch to ⅛-inch thick with a mallet; cut it into 1½-inch squares.
- Place the conch in a medium bowl; squeeze the limes over the top.
- Add the lime rinds and water to cover.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 – 1½ hours.
- Drain and discard the rinds.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, melt the butter.
- Add the onion, garlic and shallots and sauté until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, water, tomato paste, thyme, minced chile and conch.
- Heat over medium to boiling; reduce the heat to low.
- 45–50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer, partially covered, until the conch is fork tender,.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.