- Wash and trim conch.
- Dry the conch thoroughly, then pound it with floured wooden mallet.
- Rub it with lime juice.
- Cut conch into bite-size pieces and set aside for later use.
- In a heavy kettle bring to a brisk boil broth, tomato, onion, green pepper, garlic, and basil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about twenty minutes.
- Remove broth from fire and strain, discarding vegetables.
- Return broth to the fire and add carrots.
- Simmer for about twenty minutes.
- Add to broth the conch, pepper, salt, vermicelli and Tabasco sauce.
- Simmer an additional ten minutes, or just until the conch is tender.
- Do not overcook.
- Serve hot.