Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Rabbit casserole with onions and wine vinegar. The same recipe can be used for hare, with excellent results, by increasing quantities of other ingredients, since hare is much heavier than rabbit. Rabbit or hare should be treated in exactly the same preparatory way, i.e., being soaked in vinegar. (This only applies to wild varieties.) Served with fried potatoes on the side, this is a piquant dish, or if you prefer a milder taste to counterbalance the richness of the rabbit, serve with plain while rice. A green salad is always welcomed as it adds a refreshing note.
- 1 rabbit cut in pieces
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped (approximately 350 g) or 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 150 ml olive oil
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- 300 ml hot water
- small piece cinnamon stick
- salt and black pepper
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 700 g small onions, peeled but left whole
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 small glass of dry red wine
- Marinate rabbit in vinegar and bay leaves overnight in the fridge or a couple of hours before cooking it.
- Remove rabbit pieces from marinade, pat them dry and fry them in half the olive oil until golden-brown on both sides.
- When all rabbit pieces have been fried, place them back in the saucepan.
- Add garlic cloves, bay leaves, spices, rosemary and wine.
- Then add the tomato puree or tomatoes, sugar and the hot water.
- Season, cover and cook for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions.
- Stir them occasionally, in order to make sure they turn golden all over, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the contents of the frying pan to the saucepan, and shake it so that the onions spread evenly.
- Then cover and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve with fried potatoes or plain white rice and a green salad.