This is a very colourful side dish that I serve with jerk chicken or barbecued steaks. I quite often will take this to a pot luck along with several copies of the recipe, as it is always requested. For more of a bite, add a finely chopped jalapeño directly to the salad in addition to the sliced jalapeños on top.
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (19 ounces) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup red peppers, chopped
- 1 (4 ounces) can green chilies, drained
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 12 ounces surimi (artificial crab meat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
- Mix together corn, black beans, red pepper, chilies, cilantro, green onions and seafood.
- Add cumin and pepper to minced or crushed garlic.
- Mix into a paste.
- Add vinegar, lime juice and water to garlic mixture.
- Mix well.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Pour dressing over corn, bean mixture and stir well.
- Top with thinly sliced jalapeño peppers.