In a 4-quart saucepan:
- 1 bunch collard greens, washed and cut in small pieces
- 1/2 Ib. Bacon, cut in 1- to 2-inches pieces
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1 Tbs. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. black pepper and
- 1 quart water.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add: 2 Ibs. cabbage cut into 8 wedges and
- 1 oz. butter or oil.
- Cook for 15 minutes or longer until vegetables are tender.
- Correct the Seasoning to your taste.
- Strain before serving if water has not been absorbed.
- Serve in a 2-quart bowl.
- Ham hocks previously cooked may be substituted for Bacon, but save the water in which Ham hocks were cooked to use as the Iiquid for the recipe.