Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Miller Estate in Wills Point, Texas in 1992.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ¼ cup bacon drippings
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 ham hock
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 pounds fresh collard greens cleaned and chopped
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted bacon drippings
- In a large pot heat drippings over medium high heat.
- Add onion and jalapeno pepper then fry until onion is soft.
- Add meat and enough water to cover then bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook 45 minutes more.
- Check often and add water as needed to prevent scorching.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Place cornmeal in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt then mix into cornmeal.
- Beat eggs and combine with cornmeal mixture.
- Add milk and drippings.
- Using a large spoon drop batter onto greens then cover tightly and simmer for 10 minute.