- Fresh cherries: place them in a saucepan and add approx. 1½ cups cold water or enough to cover cherries.
- Add sugar and lemon.
- Canned cherries: put cherries with liquid from can into the saucepan.
- Simmer canned cherries for 5 minutes or until hot.
- Simmer fresh cherries for 10 minutes or until they have softened; simmer either with sugar and lemon.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir together the cornstarch and sour cream; pour the mixture into the hot cherries.
- Return saucepan to the heat and stir until the sour cream is well combined and the liquid has thickened.
- Do not let the soup boil after the sour cream has been added.
- Cool and chill the soup.
- Add additional sugar and lemon juice if desired.
- Serve chilled.