Ireland is rich in culinary delights and colcannon is one of the popular main dishes in the country.
- 250 g (½ lb) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250 g (½ lb) green cabbage, shredded
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 large leek, chopped
- pinch of nutmeg (best if freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook cabbage in water with salt for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Set aside cabbage.
- In another saucepan, bring milk to a boil.
- Add potato and leek.
- Simmer over low heat until vegetables are cooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Add nutmeg, pepper and salt. Mash.
- Add cabbage to the mashed potato and leek and mix well.
- Place mashed vegetable in a serving dish.
- Drizzle melted butter on top.
- Serve hot.