This classic version of the loaf is mixed with coffee for brown zest. A breakfast's simplified alternative, this rich recipe is great on other desserts and keeps a bold taste with the vanilla content, nuts, and coffee.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, white only
- 2 tbsp. instant coffee
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In a second bowl, cream the shortening with the sugar and instant coffee.
- Beat with eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla.
- Add nuts. Spoon into the greased loaf pan (or two small pans) and bake 55 minutes at 350° F or until the cake tester in the center comes out clean. Serve hot and plain or with other desserts.