Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1½ cups fresh bread crumbs (about 3 slices bread)
- 1 lb cod fillet
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp hot pepper sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- lemon wedges
- In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Place two-thirds of bread crumbs on waxed paper.
- Place remaining crumbs in medium bowl.
- With tweezers, remove any bones from cod.
- With large chef's knife, finely chop fish; add to bowl with bread crumbs.
- Stir in celery-onion mixture, egg, mayonnaise, parsley, lemon juice, pepper sauce, and salt until well combined.
- Shape fish mixture into four 3-inch patties (mixture will be very soft and moist).
- Refrigerate patties until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Wipe skillet clean.
- Use bread crumbs on waxed paper to coat patties, patting crumbs to cover.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-low heat until hot.
- Add patties to skillet and cook until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (¼ of recipe):
- About 298 Calories | 24g Protein | 16g Fat | 105mg Cholesterol | 565mg Sodium | 15g Carbs
- Diabetic exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat | 1 starch/bread