Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a great soup. It uses fried onion flakes, which Bergy first told me about. You can find it in Asian markets; sometimes they have fried garlic- I'm sure that would work well also.
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1½ cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 celery rib, finely sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, pounded,and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- salt (to taste)
- 2½ cups fresh bean sprouts
- fried red onion flakes (for garnish; optional)
- lemon wedges (for garnish; optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan; add shallots, garlic, ginger, and crushed red peppers and cook until it becomes aromatic.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, cabbage, and celery, stirring it up to coat veggies with spices.
- Add the stock, coconut milk, lemongrass and turmeric.
- Simmer soup, uncovered, on low heat, for 15–20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- To serve, place a small handful of bean sprouts in the bottom of each bowl.
- Top bean sprouts with soup, and garnish with onion flakes, and serve with a squeeze of lemon wedge.