Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Taste of Home
- Makes 6 servings.
- 18 uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 1 lb)
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- oil for deep fat frying
Apricot Pineapple Salsa Edit
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped 
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact.
- Make a slit down inner curve of each shrimp, starting with the tail; press lightly to flatten.
- In a shallow dish, combine the cornstarch, salt and cayenne.
- Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Place the coconut in another shallow dish.
- Coat shrimp with cornstarch mixture; dip into egg whites, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375°F.
- Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1½ minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients.
- Serve with shrimp.
- ↑ When cutting or seeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face.