- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Sugar or turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1/4 cups semolina
- 1 1/2 cups coconut, grated
- 3/4 cup milk or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- handful whole almonds, to decorate
1. Prepare the simple syrup first by placing the Sugar, water, and lemon juice into a pan, stirring to mix and bring to boil. Simmer for about 6–8 minutes until the syrup has thickened just a little. Stir in rosewater if using. Allow syrup to cool then chill.
3. Pour the mixture into a buttered 8" square baking pan, flatten the top and bake in oven for 30–35 minutes or until the top is golden.
4. Remove halva from oven and cut diagonally so that you have diamond shaped portions. Prick the cake all over using a toothpick. Pour the chilled simple syrup evenly over the top and decorate with a whole almond on each diamond shaped piece. Serve hot or at room temperature.