Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In Tanzania Kashatas are a great favorite in the market place and in Tanzanian homes they are served at tea time instead of cakes or cookies.
- In a medium-sized heavy iron skillet:
- Melt 2 cups Sugar stirring constantly until it is melted.
- While the Sugar is still white:
- Add: 2 cups MOIST coconut (canned),1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Stir hard for about 30 seconds.
- Pour into a 12 x 9-inch pan which has been lined with waxed paper.
- Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares or diamonds while still hot.
- Cool until the Kashatas are set.
- Groundnut KASHATAS may be made by following the directions above but using roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped or whole, instead of coconut.
- Or you may wish to use half peanuts and half coconut for Groundnut AND coconut KASHATAS.