In Tanzania Kashatas are a great favorite in the market place and in Tanzanian homes they are served at tea time instead of cakes or cookies.
- In a medium-sized heavy iron skillet:
- Melt 2 cups Sugar stirring constantly until it is melted.
- While the Sugar is still white:
- Add: 2 cups MOIST coconut (canned),1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Stir hard for about 30 seconds.
- Pour into a 12 x 9-inch pan which has been lined with waxed paper.
- Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares or diamonds while still hot.
- Cool until the Kashatas are set.
- Groundnut KASHATAS may be made by following the directions above but using roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped or whole, instead of coconut.
- Or you may wish to use half peanuts and half coconut for Groundnut AND coconut KASHATAS.