Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- ¾ cup butter or margarine
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups coconut -- freshly grated
- sweetened whipped cream or whipped—topping
Coconut milk Edit
- Cream butter until light and fluffy; gradually add sugar and cream until very light.
- Beat egg yolks until lemon-colored; add to butter mixture, blending well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture in 3 parts, alternating with coconut milk and ending with flour mixture.
- Add vanilla; stir in ¾ cup grated coconut.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; gently fold into cake batter.
- Turn batter into 2 greased, floured 9-inch layer pans; bake in preheated 350°F oven for 25 minutes, or until cake tester or wood pick inserted near center comes out dry.
- Cool in pans 15 minutes.
- Loosen and invert on rack to cool completely.
- Frost with whipped cream; sprinkle remaining grated coconut over top and sides of cake.