Seasoning mix Edit
- Thoroughly combine the ingredients for the seasoning mix in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix 1¼ cups of the flour, 2 tsp of the seasoning mix, baking powder, eggs, and beer together in a bowl, breaking up all lumps until it is smooth.
- Combine the remaining flour with 1½ tsp of the seasoning mix and set aside.
- Place the coconut in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle both sides of the shrimps with the remaining seasoning mix.
- Then hold shrimp by the tail, dredge in the flour mixture, shake off excess, dip each in batter and allow excess to drip off.
- Coat each shrimp with the coconut and place the shrimp on a baking sheet.
- Heat deep fryer to 350°F.
- Drop each shrimp into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about ½ to 1 minute on each side.
- Do not crowd the fryer! drain on paper towels and serve immediately, as is, or with a dipping sauce or fruit preserve.