Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boy's and Girls, out of copyright
- 1% cups sifted flour
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- ½ cup soft shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 13-inch oblong pan.
- Sift first five ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Add shortening, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Beat vigorously for 2 minutes (300 strokes).
- You can use an electric mixer if you scrape the sides down often. Use medium speed.
- Add eggs. Beat 2 more minutes.
- Scrape batter together and be sure it is all blended.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Ice, in or out of pan, with Quick Fudge Icing.