- Makes 1 loaf
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp shortening
- 1 yeast cake
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- about 3½ cups flour
- Mix the cocoa, Sugar, and salt.
- Add the milk, which has been scalded, and the shortening.
- Let stand until lukewarm and add the yeast, which has been softened in lukewarm water.
- Add enough flour to make a dough which can be handled and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Cut down and knead again.
- Shape into a loaf, place in a greased pan, and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a moderate (350°F) oven for about 1 hour.
- Half a cup of walnut meats may be added to the dough at the second kneading.