- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: Kate Washington, Cooking Light, June 2007
- Yield 6 servings
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 5 tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 1½ lb peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 tsp Mexican-style hot sauce
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1 cup chopped peeled English cucumber
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ cup diced peeled avocado
- 6 lime wedges
- Combine broth, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and oregano in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Discard oregano.
- Add shrimp to pan; cook 3 minutes or until done.
- Transfer shrimp mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in ice, tomato juice, and hot sauce.
- Let stand 1 minute or until ice melts.
- Stir in remaining ¼ cup lime juice, onion, tomato, cucumber, pepper, and salt.
- Cover and chill.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Divide shrimp mixture evenly among 6 bowls; top with avocado.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
Wine note Edit
One wine has a lot to match in this bold shrimp cocktail. Lime, tomato, hot sauce, shrimp, avocado--they all impact wine differently. With so many elements at play, serve a simple, dry, refreshing white that's flexible with all sorts of seafood. One of the best is Albariño, the snappy, stylish white from Spain. Try Nora Albariño 2005 from Rias Baixas, Spain ($15). — Karen MacNeil
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (4 oz shrimp, ⅔ cup broth mixture, 2 Tbsp avocado, and 1 lime wedge):
- 185 Calories | 24% from Fat | 5g Fat | 0.9g Sat | 2.1g Mono | 1.2g Poly | 25.3g Protein | 172mg Cholesterol | 85mg Calcium | 519mg Sodium | 10g Carbs | 2.4g Fiber | 3.5mg Iron