Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 2 ½ lb cockles
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 2 tbsp lard
- 3 Spanish onions peeled, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled, chopped
- green peppers cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can whole, peeled tomatoes –(16)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 prosciutto shredded
- ¼ lb smoked ham diced
- ¼ lb pepperoni diced
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Wash cockles and leave in cold salted water with cornmeal for half a day.
- In a pan heat lard and olive oil.
- Add onions, garlic and green peppers.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, tomatoes and their juice.
- Break up tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- Then add tomato sauce, prosciutto, ham and pepperoni.
- Cook for 30 minutes more.
- Spoon half of tomato mixture into the bottom of a cataplana or a saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a simmer, adjusting heat so that it barely bubbles.
- Rinse cockles well and arrange them on top of sauce.
- Spoon remaining tomato sauce over them.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Open pan, add white wine and scatter cilantro on top.
- Cover tightly and return to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes more, or until cockles open up.