this is what we have to do for our Spanish class GOSH!
- 2 cups garbanzo beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ lb bacon, diced
- 2 onions, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 1 lb pork, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 chorizos or other spicy dried sausage (about ½ pound), sliced
- 1 morcilla or blood sausage, sliced, optional
- ½ lb potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- Soak garbanzo beans overnight in water to cover * next day, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat in heavy pan.
- Add bacon.
- onions, pork and paprika cook, stirring, 10 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, garlic head and enough water to cover.
- Increase heat to high and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- When beans are soft but not tender, add chorizos and continue to cook 1 hour longer.
- Add morcilla, potatoes, green pepper and salt to taste.
- Cook another 20 minutes.
- Remove garlic head and serve cocido in soup bowls with crusty bread.
- Accompany with sliced tomatoes dressed with olive oil and sherry vinegar.