- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- Additional Sugar
- 2 pint baskets fresh California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
- Sift flour, Sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into large bowl.
- Cut in butter to resemble coarse meal.
- In bowl blend milk and egg yolks with fork.
- Stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 6 portions; form into balls.
- Pat balls out on greased baking sheet to 3-inch circles, moistening fingers with egg whites.
- Brush cakes with egg whites. Sprinkle with Sugar.
- Bake in preheated 450-degree oven 10 to 12 minutes until golden.
- Remove to rack; cool. Sweeten strawberries to taste.
- Halve cakes horizontally.
- On plates, fill and garnish with strawberries and whipped cream.