Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Makes 6 servings.
- ½ cup currants
- 1 cup hot chicken broth
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cut up chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup toasted almonds
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Place currants in small bowl; add chicken broth and let stand 30 minutes until currants are plump.
- Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, drain on paper towel, crumble and reserve.
- Add chicken to pan; cook, turning, 15 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper; remove chicken to warm platter.
- Add celery, onion, pepper and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, curry powder, thyme and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Add currants and broth; continue cooking, covered, 10 minutes more or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Sprinkle with parsley, crumbled bacon