Makes 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ pound okra, cut into ¼-inch pieces (2½ cups)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chicken, cooked, skinned, boned and cut into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over low heat until hot.
- Add flour; stir about 15 minutes or until brown, being careful not to burn.
- Add onions and green pepper; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Slowly add broth; stir until broth boils.
- Add tomatoes, okra, celery, salt, black pepper, thyme and bay leaf; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add chicken and rice.
- Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Stir; cover and simmer 20 minutes more.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve immediately.