Recipe by: Allen Susser of Chef Allen's, Aventura, FL
- Preparation time: 1:00
- 12 large shrimp
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp white peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sliced ginger root
- 2 starfruit, sliced crosswise
- 2 oz rum
- The zest is the colored part of the lemon and lime rind.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove it, then chop it finely.
- Combine lemon and lime zest, jalapeño, and white peppercorns and set aside.
- Peel shrimp and butterfly by cutting lengthwise so that shrimp open like a book and lie almost flat.
- Don"t cut them in half.
- Combine lemon and lime juice with brown sugar in a small saucepan and simmer until 3 tablespoons are left.
- Add the salt and zest mixture.
- Cook for one more minute and remove from heat.
- Moisten with 1 tablespoon olive oil and let cool.
- Press the mixture onto both sides of the butterflied shrimp, then sear in olive oil.
- Cook for one minute, then add the starfruit and ginger.
- Add the rum, swirl it around in the pan for a few seconds, and serve.