Makes 4 rice pudding mixes.
- 4 cups uncooked medium grain rice, divided
- 2 cups Sugar, divided
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground vanilla, divided
- Place 1 cup rice in each of 4 zip-top plastic bags.
- Combine 1/2 cup Sugar, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla in each of 4 separate zip-top plastic bags.
- Preparation instructions:
- Combine 1 cup rice, 1-3/4 cups water, and 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (optional) in 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice.
- Reduce heat; cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Add 3 cups milk, 1/4 cup butter and 1 sugar-spice mix.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy (20 to 25 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; remove cinnamon sticks. Serve warm or chilled.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and top with whipped cream, if desired.