Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes
- Yield: 1 coffee cake (9 servings)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup margarine, softened
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup low-fat (1% fat) buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium apple, unpeeled, cored and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick pan spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, margarine, and egg whites until smooth.
- Stir in the buttermilk.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and mix just until the ingredients are moistened (the batter will be stiff).
- Fold in the apple.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut into nine 3-inch squares.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (3-inch square):
- 214 Calories | 5g Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 306mg Sodium | 37g Carbs | 1g Dietary Fiber | 15g Sugars | 4g Protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2½ other carbohydrate | ½ fat