- 1 3/4 cups whole-Wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups soy milk or low-fat milk
- 1 cup (heaping) peeled, cored, finely diced Apple (any all-purpose variety)
- applesauce or pure maple syrup for serving
Make a well in center of flour mixture. Pour milk mixture into well and stir until thoroughly combined, but don’t overmix or pancakes will be rubbery. Add remaining 1/2 cup milk if batter seems too thick. Stir in Apple.
Lightly coat nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray then heat over medium-low heat until hot. Pour 2 1/2 tablespoons batter onto skillet and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. (These pancakes need to brown a bit more slowly than most to be cooked all the way through.)
Transfer pancakes to ovenproof plate, cover loosely with foil and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter, lowering heat if pancakes brown too fast. Serve warm with applesauce or maple syrup and a dusting of cinnamon.