Makes 6 servings
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 x 14½-ounce cans Mexican-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1 x 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 11-ounce can whole-kernel corn, drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté green pepper, onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, water, rice, chili powder and cumin; stir well.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until rice is tender.
- To serve, top with sour cream, if desired.