- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 celery stalks cut into ½ pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into discs
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into discs
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 3 cups tomato juice + 5 cups water
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp marjoram or oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan and toss the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, parsnips and potato in it over a low heat.
- Add the juice and water, marjoram, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
- Increase the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the drained chickpeas and the cabbage, if you are using it, and cook for a further 10 minutes.