Makes 6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 x 6-ounce can no-salt added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 x 14½-ounce cans no-salt added whole or stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 x 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 14½-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- 1 x 11-ounce can no-salt added yellow corn, drained
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add Onion, garlic and jalapeño pepper; cook 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender.
- Add chicken; cook 4 to 5 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Stir in tomato paste, chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat 45 to 55 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Combine rice and corn.
- Serve chili over rice and top with cheese, if desired.