- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup butter or lard
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour milk 
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and butter in a bowl to make fine crumbs.
- Remove ½ cup of the crumbs for the cake topping.
- To the remaining mixture, add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add beaten eggs to the sour milk.
- Add to dry mixture and beat until very smooth.
- Pour into a well-greased 8 x 12 x 2-inch biscuit pan, then sprinkle the crumbs on top.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot from the pan.
Nuts may be added to the topping, if desired.