Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 500 gr of Beef honeycomb tripe or Lamb tripe
- 3 tomatoes coarsley chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 hot green chilis
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon of caraway
- 1/2 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of four spice blend
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil
1) Cut the tripe into 2" pieces. Blanch in a pot of boiling water for about 20 minutes.
2) Saute the onions in olive oil for about 10 minutes, add the remaining vegetables, cover with water plus 4 cups more. Season with salt and pepper, cook until the vegetables are soft. Pass through a sieve or food mill.
3) Cook the tripe in the strained broth for about 3 1/2 –4 hours. Typically Algerian tripe is cooked until very tender, almost jelly like. Add the caraway 1 hour into cooking, the paprika during the second hour and the spice blend about 30 minutes before the dish is done. You can finish with chopped fresh herbs, as usually flat leaf parsely and coriander leaf are favorites. Remember to salt a little throughout the cooking process.