Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 whole eggs
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (or vanilla sugar)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 – 5 cups flour
- melted Crisco, mixed with lard
- powdered sugar
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks together until thick and lemon colored.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, salt, extracts, citrus rinds, cognac, and sour cream and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Add enough flour gradually to produce a thick, fairly stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 8 – 10 minutes until the dough is elastic and can be handled easily.
- Roll pieces of dough ⅛ inch thin (should be able to see through them) and cut into strips about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- Cut the ends on a diagonal.
- Slit each piece in the center and pull one end through the slit.
- Heat the Crisco and lard to 375°F and fry the dough strips, until lightly browned (about 1 minute) drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.