Starter dough Edit
- Make the flavoring addition first.
- Combine the semolina flour, sugar, cinnamon, anise, coriander, and cloves in a bowl and add the finely grated zests of the oranges and tangerines.
- Squeeze some of the oranges and tangerines.
- Squeeze some of the oranges and tangerines to obtain 1¼ cups juice.
- Use half this juice to soak the currants and raisins for a minimum of 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Put the remaining juice in a pan with the olive oil.
- Heat until almost boiling.
- Pour this into a bowl with the semolina and spice mixture and stir.
- Cover and leave overnight until needed.
- Next day, combine the dried yeast with the sugar and hot water in a cup.
- Put the flour in a bowl, making a well in the center.
- Pour in the yeast mixture.
- Squeeze ⅔ cup more orange and tangerine juice, warm it, and add.
- Work to a smooth dough, adding more water and warm juice if necessary.
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth, and leave to rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size - about an hour.
- Punch down the dough in a bowl.
- Combine the drained currants and raisins with the semolina and spice mixture and, working with your hands, combine with the dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour if the dough is sticky.
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces.
- Oil 3 loaf pans, each 1½ quart capacity.
- Shape each piece to fit the length of the pan and fit them in, so the corners are well filled.
- Cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm place until almost double in size - another hour.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or more; the loaves should be rich brown color and make a hollow sound when the unmolded bread is thumped on the bottom.
- Leave on a rack to cool.
- The bread will keep for at least 3 weeks.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.