These cookies are about the only ones i know that taste better cooked and cold than as raw dough. Cinnamon red hots make good eyes for animals or Santas.
- Difficulty: easy to moderate.
- Time: 15 minutes preparation, 2 hours chilling, 15 minutes rolling and baking.
- Precision: measure the ingredients.
- Yield: 2-4 dozen.
- 1 cup solid shortening (NOT butter)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp almond flavoring
- 2¾ cup flour
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp cream or milk
- 1½ tbsp vanilla (not Mexican unless you like tan frosting)
- food coloring
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, salt and flavorings.
- Stir in the flour until blended.
- Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 1/8 to 1⁄4 inch.
- Cut with the cookie cutters of your choice (this was always a cause for argument in our family).
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets until tan around the edges, about 8–10 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Make the frosting by beating together the Sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Divide and color each portion.
- Frost the cookies.