- Soak the porcini in warm water for at least ½ hour.
- Remove from the water, squeeze dry and chop.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole, heat the olive oil over moderate heat.
- Add the carrot, onion and celery and saute until the onion is golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the sausage, ground beef and pancetta to the pan.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring to break up the meat, until the beef and sausage are no longer pink.
- Drain off any fat.
- Season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour in the red wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until it evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, porcini and ½ cup of warm water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- If the sauce gets too thick, add a little more water.
- The recipe can be made to this point up to 2 days ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate; reheat before serving.
- Add the parsley just before serving.