Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Christmas Fruit Cake from Recipes Wiki—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Cook Time: 45 – 60 minutes to bake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup low-fat margarine
- 1 cup mixed dark and light raisins
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- ½ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- rind of 1 orange fine grated
- 1¾ cup grated carrots
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup granulated sweetener
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp brandy or rum (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and rub in the margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add fruit, nuts, orange rind, carrots and spices and mix well.
- Mix the sweetener into the eggs and beat into the dry ingredients.
- Add enough orange juice to make a soft dough.
- Put the mixture into 8" round or 7x7" nonstick cake pan and bake for 45 – 60 minutes (or use larger pan and reduce cooking time) when ready, the cake should be firm to the touch and a toothpick should come out clean.
- Cool in the cake pan.
- Turn out upside down, make a few toothpick holes in the bottom and spoon in any leftover orange juice and alcohol if using.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Suggested icing is made with apples and cottage cheese.
- 180 calories | 20 grams (2 units) carbohydrate | 4 grams fiber | 5 grams protein | 9 grams fat
- 2 bread/starch exchanges