Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Serves this may be refrigerated in dish for 3-4 days and reheated in covered casserole in the oven
- 1 tbsp whole caraway seeds or cumin seeds
- 2 tsp dry red wine
- 1 red or yellow onion thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup currants (or raisins)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (or more to taste) -(red wine, cider or rice)
- ⅔ cup water or apple juice
- Braise red cabbage with currants, toasted caraway or cumin seeds in a roaster oven or frying pan until they smell nutty, about 1 minute in a large pot, heat wine.
- Add onion and salt, and saute for 5 minutes, until onion wilts and smells very sweet.
- Add red cabbage and sauté over medium-low heat until it wilts a little, about 5 minutes (add water as needed to prevent sticking).
- Add caraway or cumin seeds and currants.
- Mix vinegar and water or apple juice, pour over the cabbage and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 6-8 cup baking dish and spoon the cabbage and liquid into it.
- Cover and bake for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temp.