Serves this may be refrigerated in dish for 3-4 days and reheated in covered casserole in the oven
- 1 tbsp whole caraway seeds or cumin seeds
- 2 tsp dry red wine
- 1 red or yellow onion thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup currants (or raisins)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (or more to taste) -(red wine, cider or rice)
- ⅔ cup water or apple juice
- Braise red cabbage with currants, toasted caraway or cumin seeds in a roaster oven or frying pan until they smell nutty, about 1 minute in a large pot, heat wine.
- Add onion and salt, and saute for 5 minutes, until onion wilts and smells very sweet.
- Add red cabbage and sauté over medium-low heat until it wilts a little, about 5 minutes (add water as needed to prevent sticking).
- Add caraway or cumin seeds and currants.
- Mix vinegar and water or apple juice, pour over the cabbage and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 6-8 cup baking dish and spoon the cabbage and liquid into it.
- Cover and bake for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temp.