Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Cabbage with onions. Tasty side dish from French Country Kitchen - Ann Hughes-Gilbey
- 1 head green cabbage or white cabbage (about 2 lbs.)
- 3 sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon meat drippings or bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons olive oil (we use the oil)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper (as much as you wish)
- caraway seeds
- Shred the cabbage, discarding the outside leaves and the stock.
- Plunge it into boiling salted water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, drain and press out all moisture.
- Sweat the onions in the fat or oil, when transparent, turn up the heat to brown slightly.
- Stir in the brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook until coloured a little more, then incorporate the cabbage, reheat.
- Sprinkle lightly with caraway seed, if desired, when serving.