Although the flavor will be different, Choroko Sauce can also be made with split Peas.
- 11/2 cups dried Shirakiku® brand mung beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large Onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- dash salt
- dash black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Place beans in a medium bowl and cover with water. Let soak overnight.
- Drain beans in a colander.
- Fill a medium saucepan half full of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add beans and cook for 1 to 1½ hours or until tender.
- Drain beans in a colander and place in a medium bowl. Mash well with a fork.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, onions, and garlic and sauté until onions are transparent.
- Add mashed beans, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and ½ cup water and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve over rice or with chapatis.