- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate pieces, divided
- 1/2 cup port wine, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup Sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 pint basket fresh California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
- In double boiler over simmering water, melt butter and 1/2 cup of the chocolate in 1/3 cup of the port.
- Stir and cool.
- In mixer bowl beat egg yolks with 6 tablespoons of the Sugar until thick and pale.
- Gradually beat in chocolate mixture.
- Mix in flour and remaining chocolate.
- In another bowl beat egg whites with remaining Sugar just until stiff; gradually fold into chocolate batter to blend.
- Pour into greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pan.
- Bake in 325-degree oven 25 to 30 minutes until pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; loosen and invert onto plate.
- With back of spoon press shallow indentation into center of cake.
- Toss strawberries with remaining port; spoon into center of cake.
- Pipe or spoon whipped cream around edge. Yield: 6 servings.